a few words of wisdom for planning your wedding
Finding a song for the First Dance at a Wedding comes with many challenges. There are a lot of factors to consider besides "that is our favourite song". I have surveyed many couples within Northern Ontario to find out how they chose their special song and what songs have been popular choices in Thunder Bay.
Why and how did people choose their Wedding Song?
I think everyone has a unique story but sometimes it's a hard decision to make. Here are some of the many reasons couples chose the song they did:
- it suited the theme of our wedding and the venue perfectly
- it's such a beautiful song and/or we both liked the song
- we chose it because we felt it really captured what we wanted our marriage to be like. If you listen to the lyrics it’s a beautiful song and when you compare it to marriage it fits
- it reminded us of where the Proposal happened
- the song we chose was by a band that we saw in concert together
- we heard it on the radio and it just kinda clicked for both of us
- we chose it because the lyrics fit with our relationship the best and we love that style of music
- the song made us feel like the lyrics could read our minds regarding our feeling for one another
- we wanted something classic and timeless with a new fresh spin on it
- I loved this song prior to getting married. I didn't even consider it initially for our first dance song until I really thought about the lyrics and felt they suited our relationship really well
- We didn’t have a traditional wedding so we wanted the song to be unique and non-traditional too
- we wanted to have a Canadian artist
I think the best advice I can offer is to choose a song that speaks to you both, as a couple, and a song that has a special meaning. Often people pick whatever the 'ballad of the day' is because it's trendy. This could be a great option for you if you want to commemorate the year you are married, as it can remind you of all the time spent leading up to your Big Day and any other relevant events that year. But, ultimately, this is YOUR WEDDING, it's not about pleasing your guests, it's about choosing music for a special moment that is just about the two of you. Really, how often do you get 2-5 minutes to listen to a great song in silence when your friends and family just stop, stare and listen with you!
What Our Couples Are Saying
"We are so glad we took a few dance lessons before our wedding. we really enjoyed spending extra time together and working on something special together. our guest were very impressed... something totally out of our comfort zone!"